Saturday, July 16, 2016

Signing Out

I first started this blog in 2006, right before I arrived in South Korea. Over the subsequent years, it became an enjoyable experience for me to post my photos up and add a few wayward comments. As an expat settling down in a new country, I think it was a helpful tool for me to reflect on and understand my new environment.


I've since survived a PhD, gotten married to a wonderful wife and had two wonderful kids. In 2013, I joined a Korean pharmaceutical company and have been pretty flat out since. But somewhere in the back of my mind, I've felt a little guilty about not blogging more often. There are two reasons why I haven't kept up with blogging over the past couple of years. The first is that my kids have become a central feature in daily life, and free time has been in short supply. The second is that I've felt less compulsion to blog, perhaps not just due to a lack of time, but also because I've become extremely familiar with this country that I now feel is truly my second home. While my readership has always been small, I greatly appreciated the helpful comments over the years from you all, and especially the messages of support and congratulations during the big events.

We made the decision last December to move back to my hometown of Adelaide, Australia, in order to raise our kids there. We're actually departing in a few hours from now, so this is my final post here in Korea on my final day in the country. We'll be back for visits, of course.

I would like to thank you all for reading this blog over the past decade, and hope it provided some amount of amusement or useful information. I hope to post one final time after we settle back home in Adelaide to provide you with an update. 

Many thanks all, and best wishes.



5 comments:

Kevin Kim said...

It was a fun read, and I'll be sorry to see the blog die, but I understand that priorities are priorities, time is always moving forward, and nothing lasts forever. Good luck as your life-adventure continues in Oz. Bring the kids up in a sane education system that doesn't drive people to suicide. Enjoy whatever specifically Aussie food it is that you've been missing out on while living in Korea. Have fun as the rest of your family first explores, then acclimates to, then embraces, your homeland.

Happy trails!

Glen villar said...

Reading this farewell post, it feels like I have just finished reading a novel that I always wanted to read. But as the saying goes, "Nothing is permanent in this world." and things change for a reason.

I wish that your new endeavor in Australia will be as colorful as what it has been in South Korea. Thank you for this wonderful blog. I've learned so many things from here.

Regards,

Glen

mangsadut.com said...

nice post

Unknown said...

I've really enjoyed reading your blog over the years! Best wishes for your new adventure in Australia!

Daniel said...

Can't believe it's been 6 years Lee! (10 for you) I've been following you since 2010 and lurked on your posts for a while. Thanks for your always great posts and wit xD. Really helped me when I missed Korea or wanted to read something entertaining. Will miss your stories of all your adventures. Best of luck with your family in Australia.